U Visa – For Victims of Crime

U Visa (Victims of Crime)

You may be eligible for a U visa if you:

  • Are a victim of a certain crime;
  • Have Suffer substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime;
  • Report the crime to a government agency (state, federal, or local, for example: police, FBI, EEOC, Department of Labor, Attorney General);
  • Cooperate in the investigation OR prosecution of the crime; and
  • Submit a U Visa certification form from a government agency with your application.

The annual allowance, or cap, on total U visas is 10,000.

If you have been a victim of any of these crimes, you may be eligible for a U visa:

  • Involuntary servitude;
  • Fraud in Foreign Labor Contracting;
  • Human Trafficking;
  • Abusive sexual conduct;
  • Sexual Exploitation.

There are more qualifying crimes than this that might make you eligible for a U visa. If you believe you have been used by a wrongdoer, it’s important to talk to an experienced immigration attorney as well as learning about U.S. criminal law. The facts of your case may fit the U visa criteria.

If you are granted U status, you may legally live and work in the United States. After three years, you may petition for a green card. (Note: U visa holders are not eligible for federal benefits. See the T visa for federal benefit information.)

An applicant must be willing to answer reasonable requests from law enforcement. I can advise you in the proper ways to offer information about the crime that would help in investigations or prosecution. By participating in the investigation of serious crimes, the U visa holder acts in an important national and human interest: stopping criminal activities that prey on human beings.

Contact our office for more information. Together, we can determine whether to pursue the U visa in your case.